Friday 1 May 2020

May Day 2020


It is International Workers' Day. That is an important date for many in Europe and in other regions of the world. We celebrate the working people’s rights. And I add to that my deep appreciation for those who keep struggling to survive. Particularly currently when most of the economic system is upside down. At the same time, as I look ahead, I see continued disruption and new levels of hardship. And I do not see the collective political will that a situation like the present one would require. Each leader is hiding behind national border walls. That is the wrong approach. We need regional and international joint efforts. As we need to promote cooperation between the big economies, including the US and China. Harsh words, bellicose statements, at this stage, do take us in the wrong direction. Leaders that follow that path will be severely assessed by future generations.

No comments: