Tuesday 7 April 2015

The Baltics are in sensitive region of Europe

The Baltic region, a corner of Europe I came to gradually know after I retired from the UN and initiated my current professional interests, is a very sensitive geopolitical area. The Baltic States are now in the EU and NATO. But they have a powerful and resentful neighbour and significant Russian minorities within their borders. I have always thought they need to have a very wise relationship with that neighbour. They can achieve it and, at the same time, continue to strengthen their links with our part of Europe and with NATO. The balancing act is possible. It is actually the only option that is sensible.


What is not sensible is to post a tweet in the social media, as the Latvian Foreign Minister did yesterday, that says: “The more I follow modern RU, the more I come to conclusion that she will end up like German Reich after both WWI & WWII & it'll be too late”. Such statement shows political immaturity. It does not serve the interests of his country and the region. And if we take into account that Latvia is now chairing the EU, until the end of the semester, the tweet is unacceptable, as I see it from Brussels. 

No comments: